Friday, July 20, 2012

The Girls' Birth!!

My identical girls were born on Monday, July 09 at 27weeks 6days.

Ainsley Isabella 2lb 3oz 14.5in at 10:54pm
Lorelei Annabell 2lb 7oz 15in at 10:55pm
 
Here is the story (trying to keep short but will probably be long):

July 3, 9am - I felt a little wet like I peed a little.  I went to the doctor and was told everything was find but to go to L&D right away if it happened again, just in case.

July 4, 3am - I woke up to a big gush of fluid, and continued to gush all the way to the bathroom and all over.  Rushed to L&D were they confirmed Baby A's sac completely ruptured.  I was having contractions 5 or more minutes apart.  Which wasnt surprising since I was just in L&D that weekend for contractions as well.  I was told I had to stay laying completely back (but could go on my sides too) just not allowed to sit up at all, even to eat or drink.  I was put on a fast IV plus lots of IV meds (antibiotics and stuff to stop the contractions).

July 5, 10pm - I started having a hard time breathing and was put on oxygen but it wasnt helping.  They were thinking the contraction meds were relaxing my lungs as well.

July 6 - Found out I had fluid in my lungs, around my heart, and even around my veins.  If I didnt get better they would have to deliver so they trasferred me to the nearest children's hospital (same one my first set of twins were born at).  There, they were worried something was wrong with my heart because the medication they gave me wasnt flushing all the fluid out.  Turns out... it was simply the fact that the first hospital was literally drowning me with too many IVs and meds.

July 8, 4pm - I was feeling much better but they were getting worried about my contractions so wanted to keep me on the monitors for a while and I wasnted to eat or drink.  A few hours later, I started bleeding.  I thought for sure they would be born that night.  Oh was also giving two bags of blood due to sever anemia.

July 9, 8pm - They finally said I was going in for a csection due to placenta abruption (placenta seperating from the uterus), which is why I was bleeding of course.  When I finally went in, they wanted me on just an epidural because the other stuff could cause more problems with my breathing and other things like that.  They kept having a hard time getting me numb all the way... I was numb at the bottom of my tummy.. but it wasnt going high enough up.  Finally things looked good and they cut me open (didnt feel anything except them shaking my body around a little) and then as they started to actually open me up I could feel everything on the top half... I was screaming out in pain - its like nothing I could ever describe - so they put me to sleep.  I hate that DH had to leave the room and could see the babies being born.

Ainsley's apgars were 2/4/9 - so she was doing good at all at first and quickly starting looking really good. Lorelei's apgars were 8/9 so she was great.  They were both on oxygen but doing well.

They are now 11days old.  Ainsley is on the CPAC (as of 07/15 otherwise she was just on regular oxygen), was having blood in her stool but it looks like it was blood she swalled from the placenta abruption, had one blood trasnfusion due to anemia, stated a continuous feeding of my breastmilk through a pump thats like the IV pumps currently giving her 0.3ml/hr. She is currently 2lb 5.6oz - more than her birth weight! Lorelei is on the CPAC and another breathing machine (dont know the name), had a tube in her chest after her left lung collapsed but that was taken out 07/16, also had a blood transfusion, also started feeding currently at 0.6ml/hr.  She is currently 2lb 6oz - only 1oz less than her birth weight.  The most serious thing both girls had is called PDA, its an opening between the lungs and heart that is suppose to close at birth.  Theirs still had a very large opening.  After a series of meds, they finally got a followup echo exam that showed both were almost completely closed - so no surgery!!!  Head ultrasounds came back normal, so no brain bleeds!  As far as I can tell, if everything continues as it is right now, all we have to focus on at this point is getting off the oxygen and eventually feeding. It will still be a long road ahead even with just those things.. but it makes me so happy nothing is actually wrong right now.

AINSLEY

LORELEI

No comments:

Post a Comment