Sunday, September 2, 2012

Labor Day Weekend Sponsored by Ronald McDonald House Charities

This past Labor Day weekend we spent at Ronald McDonald House for the first time since Ainsley and Lorelei were born.  My mom came with me Thursday and planned on staying until late on Monday.  Ronald McDonald was full so they put us in a hotel, but we still have full access to the RMHouse and everything they offer. I was looking forward to it so much and so glad we got to go.

Thursday: Dropped the kids off with their Uncle Kevin (Grandma Carol was taking over after work and keeping them for the whole weekend except whenever Brian might be around).  Picked up Mom and headed to see the girls.  The nurse have shift changes from 6-8pm so we cant go in.  We weren't going to get down there until about 6pm so we checked in at RMHC/hotel first.  Around 8pm we went to see the girls.  Our favorite nurse Penny - who is the girls primary during the day - was working for half of the night shift too.  We had a good time with the girls.  Since they are final closer together I held Ainsley as close as I could to Lorelei's isolette.  We put some preemie size onesies on Ainsley that were sent to us from some very nice thoughtful ladies.

Friday:  Got to talk to Dr. Phillips for an overall update.  She said that Ainsley was going to get off the vent and on CPAP a few times now but every time decided that she isn't ready just yet.  She said that Lorelei's last day of antibiotics will be Sunday (09/02) so she should be getting the surgery on Mon or Tues (depending on what the surgeons decide since its a holiday on Mon. Dr. Phillips even gave me her cell phone number and said I can call any time if I have any questions.  All day Lorelei's jet machine kept messing up but it wasn't affecting her at all.  Oh and we took some pictures of Ainsley's birthmark we recently discovered.  It's on her left inside arm near the elbow.

Saturday:  When I first went into the room I went to see Lorelei first.  As soon as I touched her she started to have a fit.  I decided to leave her alone a little bit and see her later.  I got to do skin-to-skin with Ainsley for about three hours or so. During that time she had a lot of apnea episodes so Dr. Phillips checked on her.  Found out her caffine prescription expired so she reordered it.  She said that the blood transfusion she needs will only help the desats not the apena but if she keeps doing both she will do a transfusion tomorrow.  When I went to touch Lorelei again she started to throw a fit again.. And I know not to take it personal because she is going through a lot - but its kind of hard not to - its hard not being able to touch your child.  When we went back after shift change the nurse gave Ainsley and "bath" and put her in a new onesie and put her new socks on.  She looked so cute.

Sunday: As soon as we got into see the girls Penny told us that the surgeons wanted her to page them when we got there so they can come talk to me.  Because they want to do Lorelei's PDA ligation surgery tomorrow.  Before we got to speak to them and find out time or any other details... Mom and I were next to Ainsley's crib when we thought we heard a noise (Mom says it sounded like a kitten), I didn't think anything of it but Mom was looking at Lorelei like she was trying to figure out what was wrong. I checked on Lorelei and she was throwing another fit, I noticed she had of saliva bubbles that gets her upset a lot so I suctioned her then I noticed... I can hear her crying! With her jet tube she isn't suppose make any noise so I told Nurse Penny right away. It was still in her mouth so the end of it must not have been positioned right. The RT had to come in and he kept going "get a dr in here now because otherwise I am just taking it out". They kicked us out of the room. Later Dr. Phillips came out to the waiting room patio to let us know everything went find and they put the tube back in so it can be in when she has the surgery. When we went back into the room Penny said Lorelei was breathing great on her own before they got the tube in. She might not need it except they will have to put it in before the surgery anyways so they are trying to leave it in.  We found out she is getting the surgery at 7am.  Even though its suppose to be "minor" surgery I am very nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment